Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
<
[-]
Welcome To Rant Central
You have to register before you can post on our site.

Username:

Password:

All Cover and No Content Games
Video games cost too much, but that's just part of the problem. These over-priced, big budget games are getting more and more realistic and filled with eye pleasing graphics, but in the end fall short on content.
Since when did entertainment come second to packaging? How fun was Super Mario Brothers? Generations of all ages played this simple 8 bit graphical game that featured a whopping 16 colors. The key to it's success(besides being something new in it's day) wasn't how great the graphics were because in truth they weren't. It was the amount of time spent on the actual gameplay. When you only have a few colors to work with, it leaves a lot more memory available for programming- less graphics used to mean better gaming.
But now we have consoles that can store up to 8GB in a single game disc, games that require more than one disc and PC games that can take as much as 20GB for the installation. What excuse to these developers have for not making their games more content-rich?
For example: a friend and I waited for over six months on a Black Ops sequel and finally it came. Three hours later we were watching the credits roll and wondering what happened. This game had a huge budget that resulted in a killer design and fundamentally sound gameplay, but only enough content for a game one quarter of it's size. At $60 per game, I think they owe us more.
Give us more games like GTA that include free modes we can exploit for as long as we can think of something else to try, give us game that we complete in any order we wish like Oblivion. You can keep the all star cast and the nextgen graphics if it means I get a paper thin plot and a short playing experience.
Wildcard is awesome.
a big here here 100% agree
Also, bring back LAN gaming. When I play a game, I want to play a multiplayer mode even if my Internet is down or non-existent. God knows that we pay enough already with Internet service as well as a $60 game.

That includes you, Blizzard. Shame on you for leaving out their LAN fans.
This message has been brought to you by RobertX.
I couldn't agree more Mark.

The problem with gaming nowadays is Greed. Publishers are too eager to spit out a new sequel to their previous blockbuster and with the fact that most game companies feel they need to spent millions of $ on development and advertising, they want a sure thing.

Unfortunately, as the past shows, games with shoot-em-up multiplayer like CoD and Battlefield sell the best, so that is the crap they continue to shove down our throats. Game publishers as well as Developers have stopped caring about creating great games and now only look at gaming as simply a product they're selling instead of an experience.

On the bright side, though, it does seem that a few Gamers here and there are starting to realize the truth about this and are fighting back. So, hopefully, maybe the future won't be as bleak for gaming as it looks, though only time will tell.
RPG fan here!
give us games with more puzzles and secrets to unlock some new and bad ass stuff!!
stop using DLC!!
[Image: fdhgsdssff.jpg]
May My Light guides you
(04-30-2012, 08:02 PM)Kolokovichk Wrote: I couldn't agree more Mark.

The problem with gaming nowadays is Greed. Publishers are too eager to spit out a new sequel to their previous blockbuster and with the fact that most game companies feel they need to spent millions of $ on development and advertising, they want a sure thing.

Unfortunately, as the past shows, games with shoot-em-up multiplayer like CoD and Battlefield sell the best, so that is the crap they continue to shove down our throats. Game publishers as well as Developers have stopped caring about creating great games and now only look at gaming as simply a product they're selling instead of an experience.

On the bright side, though, it does seem that a few Gamers here and there are starting to realize the truth about this and are fighting back. So, hopefully, maybe the future won't be as bleak for gaming as it looks, though only time will tell.

This is sort of what I was going to say.

Publishers aren't allowing dev's to take chances anymore, true.

But there are great games out there, they just don't come by often.

And the reason Mario was so good is because you didn't know any different.
(05-01-2012, 06:40 AM)wowcabbage Wrote: And the reason Mario was so good is because you didn't know any different.

I totally disagree.

Mario was new and shiny, it is true, but it was one of the first games to get the physics reigned in . . . granted they didn't get it right (Mario can jump six times his normal height in the original game), but it had a good super-hero feel to it. Also it was my introduction to 'secrets' . . . like the warp at 2-1, the unlimited 'extra men' you could get at 3-3 and 7-3 . . . okay maybe I am just being a softy cause I love the game :p
Wildcard is awesome.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Whats your favorite game or games?? pinea 0 132 10-05-2017, 08:31 PM
Last Post: pinea
  Old and New- A Video Games Rant Wondrer 3 2,327 02-01-2014, 12:51 PM
Last Post: SkinnyP
  Free to Play Games Wondrer 0 932 10-22-2013, 10:56 AM
Last Post: Wondrer