Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[-]
Welcome To Rant Central
You have to register before you can post on our site.

Username:

Password:

A few things about Windows Users....
I have used Microsoft Windows for the longest time...Version 3.1, to be exact, and no I don't feel old saying that. Cool

And while I understand that people hate Windows, I would just like to say that the hatred for it should not result in not being able to help said users.

I say this because I am having a ton of issues right now with Windows 7 Ultimate, mainly with activation. I reached out for some help on this matter, only to be met with "Linux doesn't require activation", and the ever popular answer "Use Linux".

I admit that Linux is great, as I am using it to run a private server, and I would like to use it on my main machine, but there are a couple of issues with that approach:

The majority of programs I use, don't have a linux counterpart to them. And some of the work I do relies heavily on these programs. A Virtual Machine is also out of the question, as my PC isn't strong enough for that (I've tried).

I'm glad you love Linux, can't say I blame you, but It doesn't mean that we should be so stand-offish towards Windows Users.

If the roles were reversed, I wouldn't give you flack for being a Linux user.
Sad
Boobies...They makes me smile. Cool
I have Windows 7 Pro on one of my laptops. On my other laptop, I have the latest version of the Ubuntu Linux distribution.
The main features found in the Windows 7 Ultimate (and Enterprise) edition that the Pro version does not have, is the Microsoft BitLocker for drive encryption, multi language support for non-English speaking users and UNIX application support.
So unless you really need those, I suggest you go with the Pro version instead of Ultimate.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_7_editions
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windo...e#T1=tab01

If you do need those features, then the Enterprise edition is a more attractive bootleg installation choice than Ultimate, since the Enterprise version does not contain the activation code that Microsoft includes in all their single user OEM and retail install disc distributions.
The Enterprise and Ultimate editions are functionally equivalent.
The only difference is that Ultimate is sold as a single user license that needs to be activated against a Microsoft licensing server, to keep it from being used on more than one machine,
while the Enterprise edition can be installed on an unlimited number of machines as long as you have a valid product key for it.
Never underestimate the power of human stupidity.
- Robert A. Heinlein
imo, 3.1 was the only windows product i had faith in... after 95, it was all down hill.

i'd say the biggest issue with the snarky os superiority comments you received is where you asked the question.
"Yeah. I understand the mechanics of it, shithead. I just don't understand how this is any less retarded than what I'm suggesting." - Kiley; Housebound.
XP FTW.

I like Windows but I also use Mint on one PC and have to deal with OSX from time to time-- I am perfectly happy with my OS's and will only change when I need to.

So far, so good.
During the mid 1990s, I ran Windows for Workgroups 3.11 with Norton Desktop for Windows, the After Dark flying toasters screen saver and the Trumpet Winsock dialup modem TCPIP stack on an AMD 133 MHz 486DX machine with 20 MB RAM and a 200 MB hard drive.
It had a very expensive VESA video card with 1 MB video RAM on it feeding a 17" CRT monitor.
I had a an ISA card US Robotics 14.4 Kbaud modem in the machine to connect me to the outside world.
I also had an ISA ARCnet 2.5 Mbit network card in the machine to connect it to my NetWare 3.11 file server and my two other PCs.
I couldn't afford the 10 Mbit Ethernet cards back then, as they cost around $350 each. The ARCnet cards, albeit much slower, were less than $70 each.
My LAN at that time consisted of a few long pieces of RG62/U coax with BNC connectors on the ends strung around my apartment, with BNC "T" connectors on the computers in the middle of the run.
My network printer was a HP DeskJet 500 connected to the NetWare file server.

I am very glad that I don't have to operate in a computing environment like that today.

My favorite piece of software back then was Norton Commander for DOS.
- Robert A. Heinlein
When I had Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit installed on my Mac under Parallels, I used this to bypass the WAT.
http://forums.mydigitallife.info/threads...nformation
[Image: MyUserBar2.gif]
Not surprisingly, Microsoft Security Essentials immediately detects the Windows_Loader_v2.2.1.zip file as a threat as soon as you download it.
It detects it as: Hacktool:Win32/Gendows and wants to remove it.
- Robert A. Heinlein

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Fucking Windows Updates Angry Angry Auto 1 1,228 09-16-2015, 10:48 AM
Last Post: HTorr3ntz
  Things you do when you're sick. Spud17 11 3,035 01-10-2014, 03:09 PM
Last Post: Bunny
  material things we like LZA 12 3,353 07-06-2013, 12:20 AM
Last Post: LZA