Current time: 03-28-2017, 01:24 AM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Closed 

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Few Choice Words About Choice Words
02-24-2012, 10:01 PM
A Few Choice Words About Choice Words
When I started this forum it was for a very real reason and to fill a specific need in the forum community (or at least my tiny picture of it.): A place without so many restrictions. Not only would we try to minimize the rule list, but also not restrict the topics to a particular subject matter. I like the idea of a forum with a collective tone and not necessarily a particular esoteric subject matter.

Just how far is it appropriate to go in the quest for eliminating restrictions? Certain violations must be worthy of the ole permaban for sure (CP for example), but others are more vague and can be controversial.

Some say, 'No cursing on the forum! It's rude and it will run off new members!' and others 'Grow up! Everybody swears. Get a life!'

Well I say fuck it.

We opened in September of 2011 and in just short of six months we have made quite a nice start in filling up the forums with interesting, funny and wacky threads. Most of those threads are filled with f words. Go ahead do a search and see how many times just the 'f' word pops up outside The Pit.

Over one hundred times our members (myself included/mostly) curse and don't show any sign of feeling threatened by cursing. What's more is a good rant isn't a great rant until you 'god damn' something.

I've been mulling this over for nearly five months now and I've decided that I'll make a final decision on swearing on this forum for the foreseeable future:

This is a site for adults and therefore adult language will not be censored. Threads that get off-topic may be moved to The Pit, but threads will not be moved for the use of swear words any longer.

Now that I've finally decided, tell me what you think about it. As always, I will try to listen to any member's opinion and seriously consider it. Smile

Wildcard is awesome.
Find all posts by this user
02-24-2012, 10:10 PM
RE: A Few Choice Words About Choice Words
fuckee,Mark,sounds good to me,i swear all the time[obviously]and to restrict me on the forum to do so,well,it wouldn't be me anymore
it would be like banning Jack for promoting his ass all the time LMAO

consistency is the hobdob
of small minds[
02-25-2012, 03:02 AM
I make a living out of words and I can categorically state that although there are a huge number of word choices available, one of those choices is "fuck" and quite frankly, sometimes there's just no other word for it.

I mean, what the fuck do you replace fuck with?

If you're offended by words, you're missing the point. Words are only tools we use to communicate intent -- and if you intend to offend, you can do that perfectly well without a swear word.

No fucking censorship. Ever.
02-25-2012, 03:31 AM
This thread reminds me of an old Jerry Springer episode (from before the show became about trannies bitch-slapping each other) which featured notoriously psychopathic punk singer GG Allin:
I think in the context of art and banter among mature persons you can say whatever you like, no matter how ugly or obscene. So long as it's approached with a sense of irony there's no need for anyone to be offended. But outside that context it becomes unacceptable. Serious threats of violence, for instance, should never be condoned. But using the "f" word? Fuck it, we're all (notionally) grown ups hereBig Grin
02-25-2012, 03:46 AM
man,i wish i could see that video

of small minds[
02-25-2012, 03:48 AM
Can you not see it?
02-25-2012, 05:07 AM
i can see the pic,but not the video,connection is too slow

of small minds[
11-01-2014, 06:57 AM
(02-24-2012 10:01 PM)Mark Wrote:  When I started this forum it was for a very real reason and to fill a specific need in the forum community (or at least my tiny picture of it.): A place without so many restrictions. Not only would we try to minimize the rule list, but also not restrict the topics to a particular subject matter. I like the idea of a forum with a collective tone and not necessarily a particular esoteric subject matter.

Just how far is it appropriate to go in the quest for eliminating restrictions? Certain violations must be worthy of the ole permaban for sure (CP for example), but others are more vague and can be controversial.

Some say, 'No cursing on the forum! It's rude and it will run off new members!' and others 'Grow up! Everybody swears. Get a life!'

Well I say fuck it.

We opened in September of 2011 and in just short of six months we have made quite a nice start in filling up the forums with interesting, funny and wacky threads. Most of those threads are filled with f words. Go ahead do a search and see how many times just the 'f' word pops up outside The Pit.

Over one hundred times our members (myself included/mostly) curse and don't show any sign of feeling threatened by cursing. What's more is a good rant isn't a great rant until you 'god damn' something.

I've been mulling this over for nearly five months now and I've decided that I'll make a final decision on swearing on this forum for the foreseeable future:

This is a site for adults and therefore adult language will not be censored. Threads that get off-topic may be moved to The Pit, but threads will not be moved for the use of swear words any longer.

Now that I've finally decided, tell me what you think about it. As always, I will try to listen to any member's opinion and seriously consider it. Smile

Well, you say fuck it? Hmmmm ... that is most peculiar. Why?

Because I would seriously like to know just what kind of love affair Mark is having with Wildcard. If that is strictly on the up and up, then I will apologize and bow right out. But, it sure does seem to me to be very strange. Don't you think?

I just don't know what to make of that. Anyone here know what to make of it?
11-01-2014, 08:26 AM
thread closed. /mod

"Yeah. I understand the mechanics of it, shithead. I just don't understand how this is any less retarded than what I'm suggesting." - Kiley; Housebound.
Thread Closed 

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)